Wednesday 13 June 2012

La chica con el boton

This is the main reason between a young person and a not so young person (or, to be precise, the difference between me and my room mate): I had 3 drinks and 7 hours sleep and I woke up this morning feeling as if I had been hit by a double decker bus. She had 15 drinks, no sleep, and when she came back to the room, this morning at 7 a.m., she was chirpy enough to make a speech about the negative effect that central heating has on the skin and for the environment. I could have objected that the combo " booze/lack of sleep" doesn't exactly help you look like J-Lo, but with the little energy I had left I could only manage :"pass me my water and shut up, bitch".

We all went to the hostel bar, last night, for a 'club night'. I'm not sure why they keep calling these nights 'club nights' when what they should really be called 'find-a-fuck-buddy-night'. Everyone (except me, the old cleaning lady and the poor fuckers who are in a relationship) were on heat. Sniffing each others like dogs, observing each other's body language searching for clues that would lead to the closest bedroom (or toilets. Any place goes at this stage).
I spent most of my evening sitting down as I feared someone might sniff my ass, searching for clues, but truth is, there are plenty of young, pretty and willing ladies around so no one sniffed me.

My plan to get to Bolivia by air has changed. I decided against the long and tedious 18 hour bus journey and accepted a full refund from the travel agency instead. I strongly believe that obstacles always appear for a reason. The gut feeling that never failed me, suggested I would wait so that is what I'll do. I will be enjoying beautiful Argentina for now and see what happens next. I'm so excited to slowly discover what the future holds......

When in Buenos Aires (and I suspect this is more like a South American thing.....), if you ever want to catch up with a long-lost friend, do not invite them at a cafe'. Invite them at the local supermarket instead. The tills seem  to be, for the locals, ideal places to engage in very long conversations, feed the babies, observe with unnatural interest every single item slowly (VERY slowly) put on the (broken) conveyor belt, plus any other profoundly annoying and totally unnecessary activity that in Europe you would never be able to engage with, without having your head kicked in.
By the time I had put my own shopping in my bag (quickly and efficiently), lady numero uno and lady numero dos in line BEFORE me, were still putting the small change in their purse. In fact, I had to climb over their heads and shopping trolleys to get out of the bloody supermarket.
What have I learned today? To bring a book and a chair on my shopping trips.

I spent another evening spent at the hostel. I thought it was safer than venturing out alone, at night. Except, I got restless after a short while so, pushed by my ever-present hunger, I did venture out alone. I headed towards a very reassuring place: the local chip shop. I walked in confidently, with my head held high and with a good Spanish accent I made my statement: "Hello. I am hungry". So my friday night was eventually spent chatting to the the local drunken old  man, eating greasy chips. Which is exactly what travelling is all about, for me.

I woke up feeling a little dead, so I went to visit the local historical cemetery, to feel a little more alive. It worked!! I spent the day with yet another Irish person. I absolutely LOVE Irish people. They are fun to be around and friendly and always up for a drink or 200. My kind of people, basically.

I'm leaving Buenos Aires tomorrow, but I will be back in November to learn tango. Heading north. Destination: Mendoza. The wine Country. And I am already salivating........

No comments:

Post a Comment